Events and activities from 2010.
- The 2010 AGU Fall Meeting was held in San Francisco, CA from December 13-17, 2010. A number of JIFRESSE researchers gave oral talks and presented posters, including Director Kuo-Nan Liou, Dan Chen, Yu Gu, Calvin Liang, McKenzie Skiles, Xiaochun Wang, Feiqin Xie, and Zengliang Zang. A list of AGU presenters and their posters and presentations can be found under Publications and Presentations.
- During the JPL’s Climate Initiatives Town Hall meeting held at JPL 321-Auditorium on December 2, 2010, Duane Waliser, Chief Scientist for the Earth Science and Technology Directorate and a JIFRESSE Fellow and Researcher, and Randy Friedl, the Engineering and Science Directorate Deputy Director For Research and Associate Director of JIFRESSE, presented recent JIFRESSE progress and accomplishments. Read more in PDF.
- Director Kuo-Nan Liou received the 2010 COSPAR William Nordberg Medal on July 19 at the 38th Scientific Assembly of the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) in Bremen, Germany. The Nordberg Medal, awarded every two years, recognizes the contributions of leading scientists to the application of space science. PDF (Image of Award)
- JIFRESSE’s new scientist Thomas Painter will be hosting the by-invitation NSF Workshop on Absorbing Impurities in Snow and Ice (ISI) 20-23 June 2010 in Silverton, Colorado at the Center for Snow and Avalanche Studies. Read more in PDF.
- Dr. Kevin Trenberth of the National Center for Atmospheric Research will give a public lecture - "Global Warming: Coming Ready or Not!" - on May 5, 2010. This lecture was co-sponsored by JIFRESSE. PDF
- Kristina De Vera was recently hired as a contracts & grants analyst at JIFRESSE.
- JIFRESSE Fellow & UCLA Adjunct Professor Duane Waliser was appointed Chief Scientist for the Earth Science & Technology Directorate on March 1, 2010.
- JIFRESSE Associate Director Randy Friedl was appointed as the Engineering and Science Directorate Deputy Director For Research effective January 12, 2010. In addition to his new role at JPL, Randy will continue to assist the Earth Science and Technology Directorate with integrated program development.
During the AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco, Director Liou presented a paper entitled "Climatic Effects of Contrail Cirrus over the Western United States: A Regional Climate Model Investigation," in the Aviation and Climate Session on Thursday, December 17, 2009. Graduate Student Calvin Liang presented a paper entitled, "A Combined A-Train Perspective on Upper Tropospheric Humidity and Radiative Heating." A number of JIFRESSE scientists also presented posters and papers at the meeting.