Events and activities from 2008.
- Dr. Ronald Kwok from JPL gave a seminar on "The
Behavior of the Arctic Ocean Sea Ice Cover: Dynamic and Kinematics" on
December 3, 2008 in the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences department.
- Director Kuo-Nan Liou was invited to attend the Governor's Global Climate Summit, held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, on November 18-19, 2008.
David Crisp from JPL gave a seminar entitled "The Orbiting Carbon
Observatory: NASA's First Dedicated Carbon Dioxide Mission" on October
22, 2008 in the Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences department.
- Director Kuo-Nan Liou
participated in an international regional climate modeling workshop
from September 16-19, 2008, held in Kunming in Southern China, and
presented an invited paper entitled "Mountain Snow and Regional Climate
Change: Aerosol Absorption and 3D Radiative Transfer."
- Dr. Duane Waliser
from JPL presented a paper entitled, "Anthropogenic Climate Changes in
California: Hydroclimate, Snowpack, and Santa Ana Winds "at the Fifth
Annual California Climate Change Conference, September 8-10, 2008,
Sacramento, California. Poster papers were also presented by Dr. Jinwon
Kim and two graduate students, Sarah Kapnick and Mimi Hughes.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008, there was a meeting between UCLA
administrators to discuss future directions for JIFRESSE. Those in
attendance were: Vice Chancellor, Research, Roberto Peccei; Dean,
Physical Sciences, Joe Rudnick; Dean, School of Engineering and Applied
Sciences, Vjay Dhir and JIFRESSE Director, Dr. Kuo-Nan Liou.
- JIFRESSE hosted the fourth workshop on Tibetan Plateau Surface-Troposphere-Stratosphere Interaction (STSI)
on July 14-15, 2008 at UCLA. The two-day workshop featured speakers
Professor K. N. Liou, JIFRESSE, UCLA, Professor Daren Lu of the Chinese
Academy of Sciences, Professor Yongkang Xue, from the Department of
Geography at UCLA and Professor Rong Fu from The School of Earth and
Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Topics
such as Diurnal and Seasonal Variation of Cloud and SW Flux, Radiative
Transfer in Mountains/Snow, Satellite Analysis involving Clouds,
Aerosols, and Surface Properties, Direct Radiative Effect of Aerosols
on Precipitation and Regional Climate, the Role of Convection over the
Tibetan Plateau in Seasonal Hydration of the Global Tropical
Stratosphere, and Introduction of the Integrated Observation System
over Tibetan Plateau were addressed with approximately 20 national and
international workshop participants.
- Dr. Qinbin Li was appointed on July 1, 2008, Assistant Professor of Atmospheric And Oceanic Sciences at UCLA.
- Dr. Yufang Jin was appointed, on July 1, 2008, Assistant Researcher at the JIFRESSE.
- Dr. Annmarie Eldering, UCLA Adjunct Professor, has been appointed to the position of Section Manager for Earth and Atmospheric Science at JPL.
- Jim Margitan
is the new Deputy Manager of the Science Division, and is also the
manager of the Earth Science Research and Analysis Program and the
Atmospheric Chemistry Program in the Earth Science and Technology
- Dr. Alex Hall is being promoted to Associate Professor in the UCLA Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Department effective July 1, 2008.
- Dr. Robert Fovell, was promoted to the rank of Professor in the UCLA Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Department effective July 1, 2007.
- Janice Amar, JIFRESSE Chief Operating Officer, is retiring from the University of California effective June 27, 2008.
- Professor Kuo-Nan Liou,
Director of JIFRESSE, was recognized on April 7, 2008, by the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) for his substantial
contributions to the 2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
Report that shared this year’s Nobel Prize with former Vice President
- A JIFRESSE Open House was hosted by JPL on April 9, 2008 from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Approximately 50 JPL scientists attended the Open House which included presentations by Dr. Kuo-Nan Liou and Janice Amar on JIFRESSE's research community, activities and sponsored research infrastructure
- 2nd JIFRESSE Collaboration Board Meeting
March 31, 2008
- UCLA / JPL Energy and Climate Planning Meeting
March 19, 2008
- Mike Gunson,
JPL’s Coordinator to JIFRESSE, has now been appointed Chief Scientist
for Earth Science and Technology. Dr. Gunson replaced Dr. Randall
Friedl who held the Chief Scientist position when Dr. Friedl accepted a
position at NASA Headquarters in summer 2007 as Deputy Chief Scientist
for Earth Science.
- William Yeh,
Chairman and Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at UCLA
and Member of JIFRESSE’s Steering Committee, was elected to the
National Academy of Engineering.
- Special Public Lecture: The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the Challenges of Climate Policy, Equity and Ethics
Richard C.J. Somerville, Ph.D.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
LaKretz Hall Auditorium, room 110
University of California at Los Angeles