Program Objective: Advance discovery and understanding while promoting teaching, training, and learning. Provide high school or undergraduate students an opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research under the guidance of experienced mentors at UCLA/JIFRESSE, and help with the training of students to attract them to STEM fields. Broaden dissemination to enhance scientific and technological understanding.
Students Selected for Summer, 2017
- Jeremy Lim, Walnut High School (Supervisors: Drs. Gang Chen and Bin Zhao): Admitted to Samueli School of Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles
- Kathleen Song, Irvine High School (Supervisors: Drs. Yu Gu and Bin Zhao): Admitted to School of Engineering and Applied Science, Princeton University
- Christine Song, Los Osos High School (Supervisors: Drs. Gang Chen and Bin Zhao): Admitted to Department of Economics, Harvard University
What Did the Students Do?
They worked on LA Grand Challenge Program: to understand the environmental benefits of decarbonizing LA county
- Collection and analysis of surface air pollution observations
- Validation of model results
Air Pollution in Western United States: Model Evaluation and Pollution Characteristics Analysis